Christmas in Vienna…how many people are dreaming of this. Apparently, a lot. There are these xmas traditions in every city, and as I’m from there I can name them all. And no, I’m not kidding.
1.Visit as much xmas markets as you can squeeze in
2. where you drink as much “punsch” as you can, besides eating “maroni” (sweet chestnuts)
5. To soak up the alcohol we start desperately eating traditional christmas cookies such as “Vanillekipferl” (vanilla crescents), Lebkuchen and Eisenbahner ( = trains, yes really!)
6. The male viennese start praying..
7…that the presents they ordered online 2 days before xmas are going to arrive on Dec 24th.
8. Although people never eat fish the whole year, can see them fighting over the last piece of carp, which is the traditional food for xmas eve.
9. Dreaming of a white xmas. As every year an electronic retailer promises to give back the purchasing price if it snows on xmas eve. So let it snow!
10. Cram yourself on xmas eve with every piece of food you’ll find in the house (and you’ll find A LOT). Then open the presents, which consist of iphone, socks and vouchers. Then you’ll have the traditional xmas dinner, followed by cookies, church and lots of wine.
Frohe Weihnachten! Merry Xmas everyone!